Thursday 21 February 2013

10 days post chemo - back to normal?

Back to normal? No, not by a long shot really. Although the majority of the fatigue has gone, I'm still tiring easily and my heart rate is still higher than before, I'm still peeing out chemo drugs no matter how much water/juice I drink and I'm still getting the odd dizzy spell when I stand up.
Another slightly worrying development of the last 5 days is my eating. To recap; 5 days after starting chemo my tumour had shrunk to the point that I no longer got any food stuck in my gullet. This meant I could eat normally and eat anything I felt like. Now though, within a similar time scale, food has started getting stuck in my gullet again. The first thing that got stuck was a mix of steak stew and bread I ate a few days ago, and it happened again with a chinese noodle and chicken dish I made 2 days ago. So it would seem the tumour is growing again.
I just hope that when I go for the results of the CT scan next Wednesday  they decide to operate as soon as possible and the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, in the meantime I've been getting back out on my bicycle. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with others. I've done a long 33 mile ride this week, as well as a short 14 mile hilly ride, which was nice. I'm crap at climbing at the best of times, and at the moment I'm carrying an extra stone in weight and have a heart that jumps up in speed like I'm on acid, but it's nice to get back in the hills after being off for a few weeks. On top of that, it'll help me out on the operating table if I'm as fit as I can be.


Oh, and with the lovely weather we've had this week, I've been able to go out on my "summer bike" :) 

I'm glad I've been able to get out as I'd set myself a couple of challenges for this month. One was to do the Polocini Hill Climb and the other was the Polocini Winter Sprinter Sportive
Unfortunately I missed doing the hill climb as I was just too knackered. I went out and photographed it, and walking a little way down the hill nearly killed me, never mind cycling it! 
However, with my 33 mile ride this week in the bag, I'm feeling confident enough to do the Winter Sprinter this Sunday the 24th. I've opted for the 30 mile route, rather than the 60, which I'd normally have done, so it will be ok. 
Now, if you've not thrown me some money before now, and you like keeping up with my progress so far, could you please donate to the justgiving link at the top of the page on behalf of the Beechwood Centre. Any sportives or rides I do this year are going to be on their behalf. 
That would be most appreciated. 

I'll post on Sunday to let you all know how I get on. 

Later xx

No comments:

Post a Comment